Labels

acrylic (74) celebrity (35) charcoal (11) charity (4) craft (4) dogs (23) ebay (1) graphite (24) illustration (5) landscapes (8) oil (3) pet portraiture (28) portraiture (60) signage (5) sketch (10) still life (3) video (1) vintage (10) watercolor (3)

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Year of the Dog

Year of the Dog, acrylic on board, 6x6", 2010 SOLD

When I started this painting I really wanted to have something with intense red. Naturally, communist China came to mind which led me directly to a Pug. But as we see, Pugs don't like communism, as evident in the "Please take me away from here" plea in the little puppy's eyes. I have been lured to anything gilded for quite some time now and have enjoy adding gold leaf and metallic paints to my art whenever possible. I find the added glimmer from the metallic addition infuses a new element to viewing the work. I saw an opportunity to place a little gold enamel paint in the background, sticking with the koi fish icon and traditional Chinese motifs around the edges. It turned this painting into a buffet calendar relic. I really like it . . . . and starting to crave egg rolls. - Jared

No comments: